Background

9.2.06- I ran my first 5k coming off of basically no kind of training at all in 19:48 at the Brookhaven Run in Norman, OK...After that race, I just got the itch to start working harder.

Spring of '08- I ran a 16:55 5k, 4:22 for 1500m and 4:40 for the mile on a road course. (Not stellar, but improvements)

In the span of 1.5 years of training I have knocked off almost 3 minutes in the 5k.

This Blog is simply a documentary of what I have done thus far in running and what I am doing currently...I am no elite distance runner, I am a former sprinter with PR's of 39.04 in the 300 hurdles and a 10.7 100m. My goal is to break 4:00 in the 1500 and see how close I can get to the 4:00 mile after that. Will it ever happen? I couldn't tell you for sure, but I will do everything within my power to get as close as I can. If you have comments or suggestions feel free. Thanks for visiting!

DF

Sunday, June 29, 2008

A Strong 3 Weeks

I feel as if the last three weeks have gone really well, and I finally started to feel some tightness this last week for the first time this summer. Luckily, I take a down week every three weeks so next week I will cut about 10 miles off of my weekly average (somewhere in the low 70's). There were times during these last two weeks where I really started to feel as if my threshold or tempo running is getting better. I am finding that anything that I do impacts the way I feel when I am running this much, whether it be lack of sleep or yard work, the implications seem to be magnified. I really think the key to being a successful runner at any level is being able to know how your body responds to certain types of things, which is why it is important to pay attention at all times. I am glad to have this down week coming up, and hopefully I will come back even stronger the following week, when I try to bump up into the 90 mile range.

June 23rd
M 10 easy w/ strides (Last 3 miles- 6:50, 6:50, 6:35) felt pretty good
T 7.5 Easy
W 11 Easy AM, 3.5 PM (14.5)
T 8 Easy AM, 5.5 PM (13.5)
F 9.5 AM (1 WU/6 fartlek 5minTw/1min jogX8/1.5 CD/strides) tight, but felt good
S 8 easy AM felt pretty tired, yard work yesterday(4hrs), PM took off
S 16 easy Airport road felt good, little tight towards the end
79 miles

No comments: